Monday, December 26, 2016

Rebuild Your Life - Know Thyself

"I think my father's rage at the trenches took me over, when I was very young, and has never left me. Do children feel their parents' emotions? Yes, we do, and it is a legacy I could have done without. What is the use of it? It is as if that old war is in my own memory, my own consciousness." Doris Lessing

I was conceived 43 years ago, by two broken people.  They were the cutest little couple though. The sad thing is, regardless of how cute they were or how loving they tried to be, they were broken.  They were looking for love and satisfaction, just like many of us today.  My mother came from the south, and my father, from the north.  My mom or dad had no real concept of love.  If either had known, they would have never attracted the other.  None the less, our lives became the result of their unrecognizable ignorance.  In spite of their ignorance, God cradled us in His loving arms constantly.  I guess the old saying, “God takes care of fools and babies”, is true.
My father was a habitual drug user even before I came into the world and many years after.  My parents' many physical fights were the result of my father not being able to capture the feeling of the love he longed for.  He would eventually find that feeling again and again, outside of us, via a "syringe".  This friend would temporarily mask my father's need for love, guilt, pain, unresolved manhood issues and confusion.  In spite of his behavior though, I refuse to judge the man who contributed to the instability of my first relationship with a man.  I refuse to judge the man that caused me to cry myself to sleep at night when he did not come back to us whole, did not come back to me for weeks, months and then years.  I refuse to judge the man that would kiss me and then leave us without a quarter to our name or any food to put in our stomachs.  I will not judge him.  If he had known it would mark me for the rest of my life, he probably would have chosen a different course. If he had known I loved him more than any artificial thing could ever love him, he probably would have chosen my love over heroin.  If he had known the men I let in my life would not or could not understand my need for my father's love, he would have tried harder to gain clarity of the source of his pain.  He never knew his sins would fall so heavily on the seeds he planted on earth.  If he had, I am sure he would have done things differently.  Therefore, I refuse to judge him even now in his death.  Had I not found something worthwhile to lean on, I might have taken on the same behavior.  
          My mother, bless her heart, ran from pillar to post trying to find whatever “love, peace and/or happiness” she could.  She did not know her worth.  My mother grew up abandoned by her mother and practically alienated from her father, although he lived in the same house.  My grandfather allegedly abused my grandmother on a regular basis.  Grandmother left him, abandoned her three little girls, and boarded a bus to Pennsylvania to return only once.  When she returned she was met by a sheriff who told her that she was unfit and to never ever come back for her children. My mother and her two sisters were given to my grandfather’s mother.
          Although my mother was only six months at the time, the pain of losing her mother and not really having a father, prepared her for a life where she searched for both in many ways than one.  My mother’s pain was so great; she could not or chose not to remember she was indeed battle scarred free.  Through her turmoil, she did eventually remember the God her Grandmother called on in times of need though.   With that remembrance, she rediscovered God's gracious love for herself many years later.  Thank God for my mother.  Had she not explored her “inner self”, I would not be half the woman I am today. I realize my parents were both searching for God in tangible things.  They both wanted to be loved, which seemed often times at any cost. They wanted to be free.  They too, wanted the American Dream.  They just did not know quite how to gain any of it at the time. 
          Much of my childhood was spent wondering when I’d be old enough to go on my own.  It wouldn’t be such a great leap because most of the time I felt on my own.  My dad was never around, or maybe he was but I blocked that out as well.  Maybe because it is too painful to remember.  The shouting…the screaming…the cursing, would sometimes last forever.  I remember one particular instance when my dad had gotten a beer out of the refrigerator.  He sat down across the room from where my mom and I sat.  She was combing my hair and mumbling something.  Before I knew it, he threw the unopened beer can across the room at my mom and hit her directly in the mouth.  She had learned long ago not to cry.  So all I remember her saying was, “You didn’t have to do that.”  That’s all I remember about that day.  Trust me, there were many more things he did that I didn’t see but heard about.  As I put two and two together, many fragments of my imagination are whole now.  What I couldn’t make since of back then, I’ve been given the missing pieces to truly understand what had been happening while my brother and I slept.
          I don’t know who my father would have been to us if he had not been a drug user.  I convinced myself that we would have had a wonderful life because he was one of the smartest, most beautiful men I have ever met.  Unfortunately, he died way too soon to learn his true greatness. 
          Time passed as it always does.  My mom grew younger, as she always said (or says), and definitely a whole lot wiser.  She realized in order to survive mentally, emotionally, spiritually and physically, she had to hold on to the sanity that was left, grab us (my brother and I) and run from my father and his world fast.  With that said, we left my father in Connecticut and quickly headed for Alabama.  My mom saved our lives.


Read More Here:  https://www.amazon.com/Phenomenal-Woman-Stories-Empowering-Snippets-ebook/dp/B01LXRN3YH/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1482780202&sr=1-10&keywords=a+Phenomenal+Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment

9 Ways to Double Your Income During COVID-19

One of the best ways to double your income is to figure out what’s working and do more of that . Duh! Sounds simple enoug...