Tuesday, January 17, 2017

It's My Birthday so it's OK to Dream BIG






It is time for you to face the change, know your strengths in YOU, and take that action. If you do not face the change, the change will face you.

 Riya Chatterjee


My new job began promptly at 0900 hrs.  I felt this was a good time of day to get to my new office, being that I'm somewhat of a new mom still.  It was early enough to still get a lot of done but late enough to ensure my sweetie had had enough sleep.  My daughter is almost two years old.  Yes, she is ready to be potty trained, which is a great thing!  We decided to allow her to attend the day care center near the White House instead of her nanny watching her all day long.  Plus, my daughter is so used to going to school.  She would definitely miss it if she didn't go.

My new job, my new life, and everything else happened so fast, it is hard to keep up.  One day I was unknown and working a job I loved but wanted so much more.  Be careful what you ask for right? Now, well in a matter of a few months, most of the world will probably know of me or know my name.  At first, most likely I will be called, "the lady with a made up job title" until what I was hired to do grows on everyone, including me.

You see, what had happened was...about six months ago, I saw an ad in a magazine for military veterans (the name eludes me at the moment) stating there is a dire need for a spiritual adviser to the president of the United States.  Really?  Really.  The person hired would become a permanent hire as the other members of the president's staff.  The job duties:

1.      Supports the Presidents Vision.

2.      Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of the staff.

3.      Promotes personal safety.

4.      Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.

5.      Meets established productivity standards.

6.      Assures spiritual assessment of the staff and that appropriate services are rendered in a timely manner.

7.      Facilitates the development in the interdisciplinary team plan of care to meet identified spiritual needs; works in close collaboration with the president and staff.

8.      Provides direct spiritual care to the president and staff in accordance with the ongoing needs and wishes.  Assess response to and satisfaction with care.

9.      Serves as liaison and support to selected chaplains and spiritual counselors.

10.  Documents direct services and ongoing communication with community chaplains and spiritual counselors in the electronic clinical record.

11.  Attends spiritual conferences and interdisciplinary team meetings. Assists the team developing and updating the Plan of Care.

12.  Provides the interdisciplinary team with consultation, education and support on spiritual care.

13.  Recruits chaplains, spiritual counselors, and spiritual care volunteers to meet staff needs by developing contacts and offering education.

14.  Provides for funeral or memorial services, religious services of prayer, worship, and rituals during the bereavement period.

15.  Plans periodic memorial services.

16.  Assists in supervision of spiritual care.

17.  Offers philosophies and religious beliefs opportunities to discuss and share thoughts, beliefs, and values.

18.  Meets with individual staff regarding personal spiritual/pastoral issues affecting their ability to function effectively and is available to staff for bereavement needs.

19.  Employees with email are required to maintain proficiency in the basic functions of the program and are also required to regularly check email and keep calendars up to date.

20.  Performs all other duties as assigned.

There was also a list all the perks that come with the job:

$10,000 a month housing allowance, 100 percent health/dental coverage, three paid vacations per year, two nannies and child care, a housekeeper, cook, free gym membership, daily dog care and training, three sick days per month paid, work week is Tuesday through Friday with time flexibility, travel pay for 20 percent required travel, student loan repayment for employee and two family members, 100 percent tuition plus books, leased car, car services, moving service, paid moving expenses, and work from home opportunities.

Of course all of this seemed way to good to be true.  Yet, I took down all the info and sent my resume in the very next day.

Immediately that little creepy voice started chiming in, "Girl this is a prank.  There is a catch.  Oh by the way did you not know you are not the only veteran walking this earth?  You are a woman.  You are a black woman.  Nobody knows you and you know no one.  Compare your skills to others out there and see who gets picked, not you.  You just had a baby when your only child turned 23, how dumb is that?  Oh, your husband is not going to want to relocate or start over."

Yeah, these are the words I told myself.  Instead of ignoring them right away, I decided to listen for a few minutes then I told myself to shut it down.  I reminded myself, if I can't say anything good, then shut the hell up.

After shutting down the voice of doom, the feeling of peace filled me in a way I cannot explain.

A few weeks went by.  I really had forgotten about the job.  I never told a soul, honestly out of embarrassment for even thinking I would have a chance.  Also, I didn't want anyone else to get on the bandwagon of doom either.  I know they wouldn't have the heart to tell me to my face that my goal was too high.  No, some folks don't have the heart to do that.  Well bless their hearts!  I wouldn't give them a chance to even think about it.  I had done enough damage to myself.  I didn't need any help.

So, any way, one day I was driving down the road, running a little late to my appointment.  I kept seeing this black SUV behind me.  My appointment was about thirty minutes away so it seemed very strange to have the same vehicle trail me every turn I made.  "Lord, is this the Po Po?"  Hmmmm.  My tag wasn't expired.  I wasn't speeding.  Oh my God, my tail light is out.  I could kick myself for not getting it fixed.  "He is going to pull me over."

Just like I thought, he pulled me over. "NO, I'm already late!" The lights flashed from his dashboard.  My life flashed before me.  Mr. Policeman please remember Black lives matter!

I must remain calm and polite.  I must let him know I am reaching for my information.  I mustn't protest.  Maybe he'd have mercy since he sees my veteran's tag.  Here he comes.

"Mrs. Smith, do you know why I pulled you over?"  How did he know my name?  What had I done?  My identity must have been stolen.  Relax girl!  Remember there is nothing to big for God.  Relax.

"No Sir, I don't know why you pulled me over."

 He told me to remain calm and to follow him to the nearest restaurant so he could give me more information.

WTW!!!  Give me more information about what, I thought.  Oh Lord, who the bleep did I marry? (LOL) This is about my husband I bet.  My husband must be a spy.  He must be undercover and everything about him is a lie.  Lord help me.

As instructed I followed the nice policeman over to McDonalds.  He waited for me to get out of my car and held the door open as I walked into the restaurant.

"Would you like anything to eat or drink ma'am?"

"Really Sir?  I don't know you from Adam nor do I know what this is about.  How in the world can I consume anything right now?"

He laughed and told me I'd be feeling like I had won a million bucks after our meeting.  Regardless of his reserve, I decided it was better if we get to it.  We sat down.

He looked at me and said, "You are a very special lady Mrs. Smith.  Out of 500 applicants you were chosen as the best qualified as the president's Spiritual Adviser."  Huh?  What?


Stay Tuned for Part TWO


No comments:

Post a Comment

9 Ways to Double Your Income During COVID-19

One of the best ways to double your income is to figure out what’s working and do more of that . Duh! Sounds simple enoug...